In preparation for the new term, I am working on pulling together a bag of tricks, a magical carpet bag of bits and bobs on a par with that carried by Mary Poppins... It is important that you can pick up your bag and run as soon as you get that call at 8am - it needs to be age UNspecific. Experience has taught me that balance is paramount, so make sure you take only the essentials. So far, my bag contains:
- My lunch - something you can graze on or eat without the need for heat
- Tissues, antibacterial hand wipes, lip balm, and hand lotion
- Classroom management materials (see later posts for tips)
- Pens (make sure you find out which colour the school likes for marking - some still go with red, most like green)
- Planning folder with a list of activities that need no or little supplies
- Loose-leaf lined A4 paper
- Goodie bag filled with small things for rewards. Stickers are great and work even for older kids.
- A good reading book
After a week or two my bag will invariably be heaving with stuff that I don't need, so it's important to keep on top of things and have a regular sort out.